Serves 8–10 | Preparation time: 15 minutes | Baking time: 20–25 minutes
What you’ll need:
For the cake:
170g castor sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
2 Tbsp cooking oil
2 Tbsp cocoa
For the chocolate buttercream filling:
| If you want Vanilla buttercream filling, replace the cocoa with 5ml of vanilla esscnse |
150g soft butter
300g icing sugar
80g cocoa powder
3 Tbsp milk
What to do:
1. Preheat your oven to 180ºC and grease and line two 20cm cake tins.
2. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the eggs until they start to foam, then gradually add
the sugar, mixing continuously until you have a light and fluffy mixture.
3. Sieve your flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl. Fold these ingredients
gently into the egg and sugar mixture.
4. Meanwhile, in a small pot on the stove, heat together your milk, oil and cocoa. Whisk together
until combined and then gently fold this into the cake mixture.
5. Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
6. While your cake bakes, make your ganache and buttercream.
7. For the buttercream, use a hand mixer and mix the butter to soften. Then add the icing sugar
and cocoa in two stages, using the mixer on a low speed. Add in the milk and the remaining
icing sugar and cocoa powder mix | OR, 5ml of Vanilla Essence |. Combine it with a spoon then use the hand mixer for three to five minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy.
© Recipe copyright of Sarah Graham